I’ve finally finished the Bee quilt I’ve been making for my son Julian! I shared the completed quilt top earlier this year, and finished up the quilting and binding this week.
Of course I made things even more complicated for myself by choosing the quilt the white space with tiny hexagons, which were impossible to do on a machine and thus necessitated hand quilting the whole thing. I enjoyed the process, but I am so glad to have it finished. I won’t be hand quilting another twin-sized quilt any time soon (read: I almost certainly will be within the next few months).
I made the patchwork back almost two years ago, when I first started the quilt. I love the yellow Riley Blake dot print (from Rainy Days and Mondays)–it reminds me of honeycombs, so it fits perfectly with the bee theme and it adds a substantial pop of Julian’s favorite color to the back of the quilt.
I bound it in another Riley Blake print (from the Andrea Victoria collection, both long out of print), but had to scramble to make some additional binding when I came up short. I love the look of scrappy bindings, and I like the additional contrast that the different prints add to the edges, so this was a happy accident.
I was finally motivated to finish this one by the looming deadline for submissions to the Quilt Con show this February. With one and a half days to go before the Nov. 3o deadline, this will be an early submission by my standards!
ETA: If you are coming from the link party at CrazyMomQuilts, welcome! This is my first chance to participate in Finish it up Friday, and I’m thrilled you’ve decided to stop by–thank you!